[R] Problem: No p-value for a point-baserial correlation with R

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Apr 16 14:41:33 CEST 2016

Dear Dominik,

There's not enough information here to answer your question: You don't show the commands you used, nor the output that was produced, and you don't share your data. A good guess, however, is that there is only one level of the factor, perhaps after missing data are removed, and so it's not possible to compute a biserial correlation.

By the way, if the dichotomous factor is really nominal, then it doesn't make sense to compute a biserial correlation, which assumes that there's a latent continuous and normally distributed variable that has been dichotomized at an unknown threshold.

Best,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University