[R] Need Help to solve an Error in R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 20:25:12 CEST 2016

> On Apr 15, 2016, at 6:07 AM, PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal at precheza.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Keep your answers to R help (others can help you too)
>
> From the warning message it seems to me possible that function ReadExi needs to write something to the working directory. As I said I am not an expert in this package, but commands from help
>
> R> make.gal.env(galname='galenv', gal.path='Exiqon')
> R> ebatch <- ReadExi(galname='galenv', txtfile.path='Exiqon')
>
> are rather different from yours and I am not sure if it matters.

To Jyoti;

The first line of code in the help file fails with a message:

> make.gal.env(galname='galenv', gal.path='Exiqon')
Error in make.gal.env(galname = "galenv", gal.path = "Exiqon") :
  Cannot find GAL file.

The package documentation mentions a file named GSE20122_RAW.tar at (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/) You can find this at an NIH website: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/query/acc.cgi?acc=GSE20122 .

Status	Public on Feb 02, 2010
Title	Vitamin D and microRNA Expression

The file is linked to at the bottom of that document. It's 87.7 Mb and only expands to a directory slightly large, because the contents are all gzipped. The server is reasonably fast so download only takes a few minutes. The documentation then describes the process for extracting text files. The first file is named GSM503404_Hy3_Exiqon_14114404_S01_Cropped.txt.gz and each of the 108 items are slightly over 900 KB.

The unlabeled appendix at the end of the vignette has 24 file names at least some of which are in the 108 items. You are given directions about how to store these names in a text file.

The package vignette appears to be a "work in progress" because references to figures and appendices are often to "??". It does describe a process for constructing a directory that can be used with package functions, but there are no code segments to copy, either in the vignette or this the help page link to "R code".

You are much more likely to find someone who knows anything further about this package at the Bioconductor help page. (It is a Bioconductor package after all.) They have a spiffy new Q&A interface that reminds me of StackOverflow. I suspect a lot of newbies find it easier to use than the text based mailing list:

https://support.bioconductor.org/

--
David.