[R] why data frame's logical index isnt working

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 04:29:04 CEST 2016

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 6:46 PM, Michael Artz <michaeleartz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> data.frame.$columnToAdd["CurrentColumnName" == "ConditionMet"] <- 1
>
> Can someone please explain to me why the above command gives all NAs to
> columnToAdd?  I thought this was possible in R to do logical expression in
> the index of a data frame

It is possible, but please execute this at a console line and then read ?"[" to see what is happening:

"CurrentColumnName" == "ConditionMet"  # almost surely FALSE

Let's assume your dataframe were named 'dat'.

Perhaps you meant to write:

dat$colToAdd[ dat[["CurrentColumnName"]] == dat[["ConditionMet"]] ] <- 1

And do please stop naming your dataframes "data.frame".