[R] HTML help -- as a single document for the entire package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 18:37:12 CEST 2016

On 06/04/2016 12:06 PM, Holger Hoefling wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks - I do have that as well. That is a good chance to clarify. The
> regular help gives a *separate* page for every single function. The
> regular pdf-manual gives one document for *all* functions in a package.
>
> The nice thing about having a single html page for all functions in a
> package would be that it is easily searchable in the browser, it is
> more lightweight than a pdf and wouldn't be restricted by formatting
> based on the notion that it has to be printable to a page on paper.
>
> I was wondering if something like this exists ... and Duncan very
> quickly answered that for me.

If you wanted to write it yourself, you would need to modify the
tools::Rd2HTML function, and write a wrapper that called it for every Rd
page.  This would be mostly straightforward:  instead of working for
just one file, it would need to loop over all of them; it would also
need to handle links between topics differently than it currently does,
because some of them would be internal links, others would be external.

The source for the function is in
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/tools/R/Rd2HTML.R.

Duncan Murdoch