[R] p values from GLM

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 11:59:05 CEST 2016

> On 03 Apr 2016, at 01:00 , Heinz Tuechler <tuechler at gmx.at> wrote:
>

> Bert Gunter wrote on 01.04.2016 23:46:
>> ... of course, whether one **should** get them is questionable...
>>
>> http://www.nature.com/news/statisticians-issue-warning-over-misuse-of-p-values-1.19503#/ref-link-1
>>
> This paper repeats the common place statement that a small p-value does not necessarily indicate an important finding. Agreed, but maybe I overlooked examples of important findings with large p-values.
> If there are some, I would be happy to get to know some of them. Otherwise a small p-value is no guarantee of importance, but a prerequisite.

This is getting seriously off-topic, but lots of underdimensioned studies would qualify. However, the effects found are almost indistiguishable from Type I errors. Later, larger, studies would be required to confirm that the effect is really there. (Like, halving or doubling the risk of some cancer is hardly unimportant, but knowing that that is often the detection limit in medium-scaled epidemiological studies may make you a bit jaded when hearing such reports.)

-pd