[R] Appropriate specification of random effects structure for EEG/ERP data: including Channels or not?

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Mon Sep 28 04:17:12 CEST 2015

You might also want to take a look at the recent paper from the Federmeier group, especially the supplementary materials. There are a few technical inaccuracies (ANOVA is a special case of hierarchical modelling, not the other way around), but they discuss some of the issues involved. And relevant for your work: they model channel as a grouping variable in the random-effects structure.

Payne, B. R., Lee, C.-L., and Federmeier, K. D. (2015). Revisiting the incremental effects of context on word processing: Evidence from single-word event-related brain potentials. Psychophysiology.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/psyp.12515

Best,
Phillip