[R] Analysis of causal relations between rare (categorical) events

markshanks markshanks101 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 26 00:33:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have only a relatively basic background in statistics (e.g., anova,
regression), and the books on R I have read so far have focused on
relatively common statistical analyses (e.g., outlier analysis, trend
forecasting) and haven't helped me with the data problem I am facing.

In short, imagine if the data is date stamped and we are interested in
predicting the occurrence of relatively-rare, categorical events through the
occurrence of other, relatively-rare categorical events. Both the outcomes
and predictors can be a huge number of different types, although it is
possible to group them as well.

One way to go would seem to be to take the difference in time between each
set of predictors and outcomes and see if there is more consistency for some
measures than others?? However, I haven't found a good book or package that
is directly aimed at this type of dataset, although I'm guessing there must
be some...

Thanks,

Mark