[R] Accessing defunct package

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Sep 25 17:04:07 CEST 2015

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Dennis Fisher <fisher at plessthan.com> wrote:
>
> R 3.2.0
> OS X
>
> Colleagues,
>
> In the past, I used a package:
> 	SASxport
> to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA requests that data be submitted in that format (even though they typically must reconvert to some other format before the data are used).
>
> It appears that the package is no longer available at CRAN:
> 	Package ‘SASxport’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
> 	Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
> 	Archived on 2015-06-09 as errors were not corrected despite reminders.
>
> I have a previously-functioning version of the package on my computer.  When I attempt to load it with:
> 	require("SASxport", lib.loc=“/PATH/TOt/R-Packages")
> R responds:
> 	Failed with error: ‘package ‘SASxport’ was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it’
>
> Other than reinstalling an old version of R (< 3.0.0), is there some way that I can use the package?
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

A search would seem to suggest that Greg is no longer supporting the package.

Despite the XPORT format being openly documented (as opposed to the SAS7BDAT format), I am not rapidly locating other free resources to *write* xport files, while there are a number of them to *read* xport files.

Thus, one commercial (not free) conversion application that is independent of SAS is StatTransfer, which may be worth your investment if you are doing this quite a bit:

  http://www.stattransfer.com

Regards,

Marc Schwartz