[R] Sampling the Distance Matrix

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Sep 23 22:23:16 CEST 2015

> mm <- cbind(1/(1:5), sqrt(1:5))
> d <- dist(mm)
          1         2         3         4
2 0.6492864
3 0.9901226 0.3588848
4 1.2500000 0.6369033 0.2806086
5 1.4723668 0.8748970 0.5213550 0.2413050
> which(as.matrix(d)>0.9, arr.ind=TRUE)
  row col
3   3   1
4   4   1
5   5   1
1   1   3
1   1   4
1   1   5
I.e., the distances between mm's rows 3 & 1, 4 & 1, and 5,1 are more than 0.9

The as.matrix(d) is needed because dist returns the lower triangle of
the distance
matrix and an object of class "dist" and as.matrix.dist converts that
into a matrix.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com