[R] Spreadsheet math problem (exponentiation)

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 18 17:04:33 CEST 2015

Unfortunately the order of operations is not universal in computing. The real question is whether a program performs the way it is documented. Excel documents that unary operations take precedence over exponentiation and that within groups, the order is left to right. LibreOffice Calc behaves as Excel, but does not document the order of operations except to say */ before +-, left to right. I couldn't find any statement about the order of operations in the documentation for Gnumeric.

R documents that unary operations come after exponentiation and, within exponentiation, the order is right to left. Fortran puts unary operations with addition and subtraction after exponentiation with exponentiation right to left. C does not have an exponentiation operator, but unary operations come before multiplication and division.

When in doubt, use parentheses to make sure you get what you want.

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352