[R] Beta distribution approximate to Normal distribution

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at wlandres.net
Tue Sep 15 17:12:39 CEST 2015

Using non-central chi-squared (especially with df=1) is unlikely
to generate random numbers anywhere near a Normal distribution
(see below).

And "rchisq(100, df=1, ncp=u/a)" won't work anyway with u<0,
since ncp must be >= 0 (if < 0 then all are NA).

Better to shoot straight for the target (truncated Normal), though
several shots are likely to be required! For example (code which
spells it out), taking u=3 and a=2:

  n <- 100
  u <- 3 ; a <- 2
  x <- NULL
  N <- length(x)
  while(N < n){
    x <- c(x,rnorm(n,mean=u,sd=a))
    x <- x[x>0]
    N <- length(x)
  }
  x <- x[1:n]

Comparison with non-central chi-squared:

  y <- rchisq(100, df=1, ncp=u/a)
  hist(x)
  hist(y)

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at wlandres.net>