[R] Non linear regression - Von Bertalanffy Growth Function - "singular gradient matrix at initial parameter estimates"

Xochitl CORMON Xochitl.Cormon at ifremer.fr
Tue Sep 8 18:40:20 CEST 2015

Thank you for the tip. Indeed, nlxb in nlmrt works and results are not
crazy.

I would like however to assess goodness-of-fit (gof) and ultimately to
compare it with gof from linear regression (fitted with same variables).

Before I used AICc to compare the nls() and lm() fit, however I get now
an error message concerning the method loglike and its non compatibility
with nlmrt class object. I guess it is because we use now Marquardt
method to minimise sum-of square instead of Gauss-Newton? I am right? Or
this is just an incompatibility coming between AICc function and nlmrt
objects? Is there an R function to do that?

Best,

Xochitl C.

<>< <>< <>< <><

Xochitl CORMON
+33 (0)3 21 99 56 84

Doctorante en écologie marine et science halieutique
PhD student in marine ecology and fishery science

IFREMER
Centre Manche Mer du Nord
150 quai Gambetta
62200 Boulogne-sur-Mer