[R] monte carlo simulations in permanova in vegan package

Sean Porter sporter at ori.org.za
Fri Oct 30 12:48:54 CET 2015

Thank you Jari,

It seems now that my question is morphing more into a statistical one, and
perhaps not appropriate for R-help list, so apologies. Yes we are talking
about the latest versions of the vegan and permute packages.

When there are an insufficient number of permutations available due to low
sample sizes apparently an alternative is to use the result given in
Anderson & Robinson (2003) regarding the asymptotic permutation of the
numerator (or denominator) of the test statistic under permutation. And I
quote from Anderson et al. 2008 "It is demonstrated that each of the sums of
squares has, under permutation, an asymptotic distribution that is a linear
form in chi-square variables, where the coefficients are actually the
eigenvalues from a PCO of the resemblance matrix. Thus, chi-square variables
can be drawn randomly and independently, using Monte Carlo sampling, and
these can be combined with the eigenvalues to construct the asymptotic
permutation distribution for each of the numerator and denominator and,
thus,  for the entire pseudo-F statistic, in the event that too few actual
unique permutations exist."

Anderson, Gorley & Clarke. 2008. PERMANOVA+ for PRIMER: Guide to software
and statistical models.
Anderson & Robinson 2003. Generalised discriminant analysis based on
distances. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics. 45: 301-318

I am sure you already know this! The above is what I am trying to do in the
vegan package though..

Apologies if I am missing something and if what you have said still applies
(that is not appropriate to exceed the possible number of permutations), I
am not a statistician..so any help/clarity would be welcome..

Regards, sean