[R] Time it takes to run a code

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 25 22:30:23 CET 2015

It may be useful for you to estimate the time complexity of your function: try it with smaller input that takes short and noticeable time, see whether the time increases linearly, quadratically, or exponentially with the number of elements you process, then  extrapolate to your full data set.

To see what your function is doing, you could
- add a print statement that tells you the progress every 1000 or 10,000 items or so...
- add a progress bar
     https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/utils/html/txtProgressBar.html
- install and use the pbapply package
    https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/pbapply/pbapply.pdf

You are right to make sure you are getting some feedback, it is easy to make a mistake in function logic that will cause a function to fail to terminate.

B.