[R] [FORGED] Re: How to correct documentation?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 25 00:07:46 CEST 2015

On 24/10/15 21:10, Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi Ming,
> In fact, the notation lb/1000 is correct, as the values represent the
> weight of the cars in pounds (lb) divided by 1000. I am not sure why this
> particular transformation of the measured values was used, but I'm sure it
> has caused confusion previously.

I disagree --- and agree with Ming.  The notation is incorrect.  Surely
"lb/1000" means thousandths of pounds.  E.g. 12345 lb/1000 is equal to
12.345 lb.

I'm sure that others will come up with all sorts of convoluted lawyerish
arguments that the case is otherwise, but as far as I am concerned, any
*sane* person would interpret "lb/1000" to mean thousandths of pounds.

If in the unlikely event that the documentation for some data set said
"Weight (gm/1000)", I'm pretty sure that this would be interpreted to
mean milligrams and *not* kilograms!

Since the description of the data was presumably taken from that given
in the original source ("Motor Trend" magazine) it would probably be
inappropriate to "correct" it.  However a note/warning should be added
to the mtcars help file indicating that Motor Trend got things upside-down.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS