[R] Fitting a curve to weibull distribution in R using nls

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:36:43 CEST 2015

There's a number of issues with this:

(a) your data appear to be binned counts, not measurements along a curve.
(b) The function you are trying to fit is the Weibull _density_ This has integral 1, by definition, whereas any curve anywhere near your y's would have integral near sum(y)=127
(c) SSweibull is for growth curves which are proportional to the cumulative Weibull distribution.
(d) SelfStart functions do *not* need starting values, that is the whole point

So you need to study things a bit more...

The expedient way would be this:

> MASS::fitdistr(rep(x,y), "Weibull")
     shape        scale
   2.4207659   10.5078293
 ( 0.1530137) ( 0.4079979)
Warning message:
In densfun(x, parm[1], parm[2], ...) : NaNs produced

> plot(y~x, ylim=c(0,20), xlim=c(0,24))
> curve(127*dweibull(x,2.42,10.5), add=TRUE)

It doesn't actually fit very well, but there are quite a few observations out in what was supposed to be the tail of the distribution.

If you want to play with SSweibull, you might do something like

> yy <- cumsum(y)
> nls(yy~SSweibull(x, Asym, Drop, lrc, pwr))
Nonlinear regression model
  model: yy ~ SSweibull(x, Asym, Drop, lrc, pwr)
   data: parent.frame()
   Asym    Drop     lrc     pwr
122.417 122.471  -6.944   3.129
 residual sum-of-squares: 187

This gives a nonlinear least squares fit to the cumulative distribution (I am _not_ advocating this, but you said that you were trying to figure out what others had been up to...). If you plot it, you get

> plot(yy~x)
> curve(SSweibull(x, 122.42, 122.47, -6.94, 3.13), add=TRUE)

which _looks_ nicer, but beware! Everything looks nicer when cumulated and the fit strongly underemphasizes that the data curve is clearly growing past x=15.

Notice also that there is a parametrization difference. SSweibull has Asym and Drop which are F(inf) and F(inf)-F(0) respectively; in this case one could fix both at 127. pwr is  equal to a in the Weibull density, whereas lrc (log rate constant) comes from writing exp(-(x/b)^a)  as exp(-exp(lrc)*x^a), so
b = exp(-lrc)^(1/a) -- i.e.  exp(6.94)^(1/3.13) = 9.18 which is in the same range as the estimate from fitdistr().

You could also fit the weibull density directly using least squares

> nls(y~127*dweibull(x,shape,scale), start=c(shape=3,scale=10))
Nonlinear regression model
  model: y ~ 127 * dweibull(x, shape, scale)
   data: parent.frame()
shape scale
3.419 9.574
 residual sum-of-squares: 230.6

Number of iterations to convergence: 6
Achieved convergence tolerance: 6.037e-06

> plot(y~x, ylim=c(0,20), xlim=c(0,24))
> curve(127*dweibull(x,2.42,10.5), add=TRUE)
> curve(127*dweibull(x,3.419,9.574), add=TRUE)

This fits the peak quite a bit better than the fitdistr() version, but notice again that there are also more observations in regions where there shouldn't really be any according to the fitted curve. This is a generic difference between maximum likelihood and the curve fitting approaches.

-pd