[R] scatter3d

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 13:52:24 CEST 2015

On 02/10/2015 11:45 PM, Jeff Tostenrude wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, it does seem to be a bit
> counter-intuitive, but that is the output I am being asked to produce. I
> have only been using R for a few weeks, so there is probably a better way
> to do it.
>
> Anyway, your suggestion did work, but only up to 337 data points. I am
> dealing with ~100,000 data points so this doesn't really work for me. Is
> there another method you would suggest? My goal is to plot multiple
> regression planes (without points) in an interactive 3d plot.

The problem there would be that 100000 spheres will overwhelm the
graphics system, even if they are of size zero.

The ?planes3d help page shows how to plot a plane based on a linear fit.
 It won't include the grid that scatter3d includes; you would need to
program that separately.  You should avoid using the rgl.lines and
rgl.quads calls that scatter3d uses; you're better off with lines3d and
quads3d.

If you don't include any points, you'll need to specify the range of the
axes explicitly --- use the xlim, ylim and zlim arguments to decorate3d
to do that.

Duncan Murdoch