[R] scatter3d

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Oct 3 02:22:15 CEST 2015

Dear Jeff,

I'm tempted to say that a scatterplot without points is an oxymoron, but that wouldn't be very helpful.

Actually, the scatter3d() function used by the Rcmdr is in the car package. The Rcmdr 3D scatterplot dialog doesn't provide for suppressing the points, but if you add radius=rep(0, n) to the command that's generated, where you'd replace n with the number of cases in the dataset, that would do the trick by plotting spheres of 0 radius. For example, try

	scatter3d(prestige ~ income + education, data=Duncan, radius=rep(0, 45), residuals=FALSE)

either in the Rcmdr or at the R command prompt.

For more information see ?scatter3d or press the Help button in the Rcmdr 3D scatterplot dialog and follow the link to scatter3d.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University