[R] R setting number of knots in smoothing splines

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:02:31 CET 2015

On 13/11/2015 2:34 PM, writetohana at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am solving a problem about setting a knots in function smooth. spline. I am not very sure how to set a knot points in this. I understand it accept only number of points, but not distances between them. Can you help me how to specify the distances?

smooth.spline (you really shouldn't be using HTML to post; then the
function name wouldn't get messed up) chooses evenly spaced quantiles in
x for the knots.  Normally the result if you choose every unique x won't
be much different:  it's the "df" or "spar" parameter that controls the
result much more than the knots.

So I'd say you should read more about smoothing splines before you
continue with your approach.

Duncan Murdoch