[R] R units of margins, text and points in a figure

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 09:48:59 CET 2015

Hi Gudrun,
Let's see. First, the "cex" argument means character _expansion_, not an
absolute size. So as the symbols and letters start out different sizes,
that proportional difference remains as they are expanded. The size of text
depends a bit upon the font that is being used. Perhaps if you determine
the expansions necessary to get the "A" the same size as the pch=20 symbol
(I get about two and one half times the expansion for the symbol as for the
letter) you can write this into your code.

Margins are another unit, the number of lines (vertical space required for
a line of text). This is somewhat larger than the actual vertical extent of
the letters as there is a space left between lines. If you change the
device (eg from PNG to PDF) you will probably encounter yet another change
in the apparent size of things. I suggest using the eyeball method to work
out the proportions for the device you want to use and be prepared to
change things if you move to another graphics device.

Jim