[R] A bunch of packages keeps wanting to get updated

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 20:40:57 CET 2015

On 05/11/2015 1:00 PM, Dimitri Liakhovitski wrote:
> I am using a windows laptop, R 3.2.2
>
> I am using R-gui.
>
> When I go to Packages -> Update packages and then select a Cran mirror
> (in the US) - it tells me to update the following packages:
>
> GLMMGibbs
> RDCOMClient
> Rstem
> survnnet
> yags
>
> I click OK and then I get successful update messages, like:
>
> trying URL 'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/3.2/survnnet_1.1-3.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 235981 bytes (230 KB)
> downloaded 230 KB
>
> trying URL 'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/3.2/yags_4.0-2.2.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 205372 bytes (200 KB)
> downloaded 200 KB
>
> package ‘survnnet’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> package ‘yags’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> Then I to to Packages -> Update packages, and exactly the same
> packages as before appear - as if I didn't just update them.
>
> What could be the reason? I tried to totally delete the folders of
> those packages, install them from scratch (successfully), still - they
> keep appearing in Update Pacakges widnow.
>
> Any advice?

It may be installing them to a personal library rather than the system
one (to which you typically don't have write permission).

You should be getting messages about this, but they might be hidden; if
you run

update.packages()

it might be easier to see the messages.  You can also try running
.libPaths() to see what libraries are searched.

Duncan Murdoch