[R] Arrays of variable dimensionality

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at ucsf.edu
Sun May 31 05:20:52 CEST 2015

Basically dropping by saying what's already been said, but also that
you probably want to do whatever you're trying to achieve using
vectorized operations.  A small summary with some tweaks:

## Generate an array with a "random" number of dimensions
dim <- c(4, 5, 6, 7)
dimnames <- lapply(1:4, FUN=function(i) sprintf("%s%d", letters[i], 1:dim[i])
)
x <- array(seq_len(prod(dim)), dim=dim, dimnames=dimnames)

# A single cell
> y0 <-x[1,2,3,4]
> y <- do.call(`[`, c(list(x), alist(1,2,3,4)))
[1] 405
> stopifnot(identical(y, y0))

# A "block" subset of the array
> y0 <- x[1:2,2,3:4,4]
> y <- do.call(`[`, c(list(x), alist(1:2,2,3:4,4)))
    c3  c4
a1 405 425
a2 406 426
> stopifnot(identical(y, y0))

# A "block" subset of the array (preserving all 4 dimensions)
> y0 <- x[1:2,2,3:4,4, drop=FALSE]
> y <- do.call(`[`, c(list(x), alist(1:2,2,3:4,4), drop=FALSE))
> str(y)
 int [1:2, 1, 1:2, 1] 405 406 425 426
 - attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 4
  ..$ : chr [1:2] "a1" "a2"
  ..$ : chr "b2"
  ..$ : chr [1:2] "c3" "c4"
  ..$ : chr "d4"
> stopifnot(identical(y, y0))

# Why alist() and not list()?  Because if you also need to do ...
> y0 <- x[1:2,,1:2,, drop=FALSE]
> y <- do.call(`[`, c(list(x), alist(1:2,,1:2,), drop=FALSE))
> str(y)
 int [1:2, 1:5, 1:2, 1:7] 1 2 5 6 9 10 13 14 17 18 ...
 - attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 4
  ..$ : chr [1:2] "a1" "a2"
  ..$ : chr [1:5] "b1" "b2" "b3" "b4" ...
  ..$ : chr [1:2] "c1" "c2"
  ..$ : chr [1:7] "d1" "d2" "d3" "d4" ...
> stopifnot(identical(y, y0))

# Any subset of cells - not a "block" (using what is called "matrix
indexing" in R)
> y0 <- c(x[1,2,2,4], x[3,2,1,3])
> idxs <- cbind(c(1,3), c(2,2), c(2,1), c(4,3))
> y <- x[idxs]
[1] 385 247
> stopifnot(identical(y, y0))

For a (possibly) more readable subsetting by "blocks" than using
do.call(), there's also:

> library(R.utils)
> y <- extract(x, indices=list(1:2,2,3:4,4), drop=TRUE)
> y <- extract(x, indices=list(1:2,2,3:4,4), drop=FALSE)

It also has some other bells and whistles, but it cannot do more than
what already shown above.

/Henrik
(author of R.utils)