[R] An Odd Request

Josh Grant myencephalon at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:48:18 CEST 2015

Hello R-Users

I apologize in advance if my post is inappropriate. I read the entire
posting guide and found nothing to say so, but you never know. I am seeking
a knowledgable R-user that might be interested (for whatever reason) in
helping out on what I hope would be considered a worthy project.

I am a research scientist, albeit one with little programming ability. I
recently started a website which allows patients of different sorts to
suggest research studies. Everything is completely free and anonymous. When
several members express interest in a particular idea I attempt to build it
so they can actually run through the study. Clearly there are limits but we
currently we have 4 communities, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia,
multiple sclerosis and pernicious anaemia and there are several active
studies in which people are submitting data every day. It's quite exciting
and I think it has great potential to help people, particularly with
disorders that have defied explanation.

I'm currently using google spreadsheets/forms to create symptom trackers
and interactive dashboards of the results which (most of the time) show
group results by default but which can show individual results if an ID is
entered. Unfortunately google spreadsheets is a little limited and I now
require the use of more complicated stats such as linear mixed models.

I know that I need to move to R, I understand the basics of running
statistical tests with packages such as LMER, but I have no clue how to go
about integrating such analyses into a website. I could certainly learn
how, would love to, and ultimately will, but if someone was interested in
joining me in this endeavour much more could be accomplished.

If you're interested in knowing more let me know.

Josh