[R] Using names in function with ellipsis (non standard evaluation?)

Luca Cerone luca.cerone at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:40:39 CEST 2015

Hi everybody,

this is probably a silly question, but I can't find a way to recognize
the names that are passed
to variables in ellipsis.

For example, say I have a "core" function that receives some extra
parameters through ...
e.g.

f <- function(...) {
   params <- c(...)
   #dothehardworkhere using "names(params)"
}

and then I want to create a function g where some of the parameters
are set like:

g <- function(x,y) f(x,y)

I figure I probably have to use to substitute in f, but it is not
clear to me how.

Definitely what I need to achieve is that when I call:

g(1,2) then in f params is the vector c(x=1,y=2);
similarly I want to be able to call g(y=2, x=1)
and have params = c(x=1,y=2) in f.

Can you please help me understanding how to do this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Luca