[R] Problem with particular file in XML package?

Gen alamesa2012 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 04:56:10 CEST 2015

I have been attempting to install the R devtools package at work.  The
version of R is 3.1.2 (Pumpkin Helmet).  However, the installation of
devtools fails because devtools depends on rversions which in turn depends
upon the XML package (XML_3.98-1.1.tar.gz), and the XML package is not
importing correctly for us.

One of our system administrators tried scanning through the files in the
XML package, and he said that the particular file:
/src/contrib/XML_3.98-1.1.tar.gz/XML/inst/exampleData/dtd.zip looks
corrupted.  The actual error message he received was: "Archive parsing
failed!  (Data is corrupted)."  For the record, I tried downloading an
older version of the XML package (XML_3.95-0.1.tar.gz) but that was also
without success -- this time there was a separate error message about not
being able to locate xml2-config.  (Perhaps XML_3.95-0.1.tar.gz is just not
compatible with R version 3.1.2?)

I tried browsing over to the "CRAN checks" link for the XML package and
noticed several red warning messages under the "Status" column -- not sure
if that is typical?  Has anyone else had trouble with the XML package
lately and if so, how did you resolve it?  Would it be possible to remove
the potentially corrupted file and then re-upload the package source
XML_3.98-1.1.tar.gz to the CRAN webpage?  Thanks for your help/suggestions!