[R] Identifying peak periods of observations in circular yearly data

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:34:04 CEST 2015

Hi Daisy,
You face a problem similar to one with which I have grappled in
different fields. The year is designed for the northern hemisphere,
beginning and ending in less productive biologic states in those
regions. I have previously argued that since the calendar year is an
arbitrary progression, it makes more sense to redraw the annual
boundary when examining things like this in the southern hemisphere.
That is to say, a "year" is conventionally marked at about the
northern winter solstice. Down here, this becomes the summer solstice
and breaks up a lot of things that happen around that time. Have you
thought of defining a southern bird-watching year as beginning and
ending at the southern winter solstice? As I am currently writing in
an entirely different context, it shouldn't really make much
difference.

Jim