[R] Remove entry with sensitive information from history

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 27 11:06:44 CEST 2015

On 27/05/2015 09:17, Luca Cerone wrote:
> Hi David, thanks, but the function has to work from an R shell, I have
> no graphical server in my remote machines.

My suggestion was going to be to use readline() to read the passwords.
Ideally one would use a custom reader from stdin which did not echo, but
that is not possible without knowledge of the terminal/console in use
(which is hard to do portably), nor in general.  One could do what some
password readers (e.g. that on iOS) do, and after each character is
entered backspace and overwrite by x or dot.