[R] Output interpretation: standard error of lm dummy variable

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Tue May 19 12:44:54 CEST 2015

Hi Livia,
You seem to have mixed up the residual error with the R^2, which is
just over 0.02. The bottom line on your summary table says that the
obtained F statistic was equal to 1894 (this has been truncated to
four significant places). The probability of obtaining that value with
your data given the F distribution for 4 numerator and 342199
denominator degrees of freedom is very small, but not less than 0. The
notation <2.2e-16 can be roughly translated in English as "about as
close to zero as this function can calculate". You should note that
with that many observations, a significant result is almost
guaranteed, but the linear model explains almost none of the variance
in prices.

Jim