[R] R Commander qcc

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Sun May 17 12:51:30 CEST 2015

Welcome to R and the R-help list.

If I am not misunderstanding you, you expect use the qcc package from within the Rcmdr GUI.

I have never really used RCommander, though I played around with it a few years ago,   but I don't believe it can call qcc directly.  I 'think' you have the choice of using qcc from a command line interface or possibly installing a plug-in for Rcmder.  Have a look at this link http://decisionstats.com/2011/01/27/r-commander-plugins-20-and-growing/

BTW you might also be interested in this link http://blog.yhathq.com/posts/quality-control-in-r.html for other approaches to control charts.

While a good Gui like Rcmdr is useful you really will not get the full power of R with a Gui.  It can be a bit intimidating to use a command interface if you are not used to one but it is by far the best way.  It may not seem it but it is much more efficient in the longer term to go to a command-line interface.

There is also the issue of whether there is an integration for the package and your Gui.  Luckily, it looks like there is a Rcmdr plugin for qcc but there are probably 100's, or more likely, 1000's of packages with such a plug-in and you cannot capitalize on them other than with a command-line approach.

You can use R by typing commands into the R-GUI (assuming you are using Windows) or by typing in the terminal under Linux but this does not work well. Most/all R users do all their writing in a text editor or Integrated Development Environment (IDE). There are some fierce wars over which editor or IDE is best. Here are a couple of links about the issue. Text Editors and IDEs http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Best-R-text-editors-td903450.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_%28programming_language%29#Editors_and_IDEs .

It's worth shopping around to see what best suits you. I have found Tinn-R very good when working in Windows though, recently, I have moved to Linux and to the IDE, RStudio and the gedit text editor with its R plug-in. A major advantage of Tinn-R and gedit , particularly if you are just getting started, is that they both have extensive code highlighting which makes it easier to find and fix minor syntax errors and typos. RStudio has several advantages, among other things, it shows what data objects you have loaded and makes saving and handling graphs easier .

BW one  of the obvious things I missed when first using R was  that you can just copy and paste code into R if you are working through an example to see what is happening

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada