[R] Using iconv from glibc

Smith, Virgil Virgil.Smith at flir.com
Fri May 15 01:13:28 CEST 2015

The R Installation and Administration manual section A.1 states that glibc should provide a suitable iconv function, but I can't get R's configure script to accept/validate iconv on a platform I need to support using glibc 2.20.

Is glibc is actually compatible (or if gnu libiconv is essentially the only path)?

If glibc should work, what should I check to troubleshoot my environment?

The configure error I get is
    checking iconv.h usability... yes
    checking iconv.h presence... yes
    checking for iconv.h... yes
    checking for iconv... yes
    checking whether iconv accepts "UTF-8", "latin1", "ASCII" and "UCS-*"... no
    configure: error: a suitable iconv is essential

My full list of installed glibc / libc packages is
    glibc-binary-localedata-en-gb - 2.20-r0
    glibc-binary-localedata-en-us - 2.20-r0
    glibc-gconv - 2.20-r0
    glibc-gconv-utf-16 - 2.20-r0
    glibc-locale-en-gb - 2.20-r0
    libc6 - 2.20-r0
    libc6-dev - 2.20-r0
    libc6-extra-nss - 2.20-r0
    libc6-thread-db - 2.20-r0

Notice to recipient: This email is meant for only the intended recipient of the transmission, and may be a communication privileged by law, subject to export control restrictions or that otherwise contains proprietary information. If you receive this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and then destroy it and do not review, disclose, copy or distribute it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.