[R] New to R

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Sun May 10 16:26:19 CEST 2015

Welcome to R and the R-help list

Not oriented to finance but just general info
A good source of introductory sources is available at http://www.introductoryr.co.uk/R_Resources_for_Beginners.html. BTW I've never seen the author's book but it does look interesting. :)

I have had a look at most of the on-line books listed and I'd say any of them is likely to be very helpful. I have read a good bit of the book by Daniel Navarro and it is a excellent intro but possibly a bit tedious if you already are well grounded in stats.

Pat Burn's (of The R Inferno infamy ) has a new tutorial out which looks interesting. It is listed in the above link (Impatient R)

My personal opinion is that An Introduction to R by W.N. Venables and D.M. Smith (2004) is an excellent resource but it is only an introduction if you already are a pretty knowledgeable stats and programming type. However, when you hit a problem it is one of the first places to look for help.

If you have experience with SAS or SPSS then Bob Muenchen's R FOR SAS AND SPSS USERS (www.et.bs.ehu.es/~etptupaf/pub/R/RforSAS&SPSSusers.pdf) also available in expanded hard-copy format, can be extremely useful.

A couple of very useful sites for crafting questions for R-help or Stack

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example and http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html. In fact, just following the instructions for preparing a decent example can lead to a solution to the problem.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada