[R] Question about cochran test in R

Henric Winell nilsson.henric at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:51:47 CEST 2015

Hi Luis,

(Let's keep R-help in the loop for the benefit of others.)

On 2015-05-08 10:25, Luis Fernando García wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your replies Henry!
>
> Your answer was specially a bless! Many thanks this was an issue which
> was breaking my head.
>
> I have another couple of questions, may be you could help me. For post
> hoc comparison I was planning to run a McNemar test with a bonferroni
> correction, but wanted to be sure my approach is correct.

It's an OK approach, I guess, but you should use the Holm correction
rather than Bonferroni.  (Holm dominates Bonferroni and is valid under
the same arbitrary assumptions.)

The "classical" approach, and as suggested in Cochran (1950), would be
to partition the chi-squared statistic into components of interest.

In a more general approach, a test of all the post-hoc comparisons is
performed simultaneously.  This is very efficient, in terms of power,
since it takes account of the correlation between the test statistics.
Ignoring such dependencies may result in "strange" results, due to loss
of power, where none of the partial null hypotheses are rejected even
though the global null hypothesis is rejected.  Unfortunately, I'm not
aware of any publicly available software that let's you do this.  In
theory, 'coin' should be able to, and there has even been some work done
in this direction, but it's currently unfinished.

Henric Winell