[R] Randomly interleaving data frames while preserving order

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 31 19:05:15 CEST 2015

Hello.

I am trying to simulate recruitment in a randomized trial. Suppose I
have three streams (strata) of patients represented by these data frames.

df1 <- data.frame(strat=rep(1,10),id=1:10,pid=1001:1010)
df2 <- data.frame(strat=rep(2,10),id=1:10,pid=2001:2010)
df3 <- data.frame(strat=rep(3,10),id=1:10,pid=3001:3010)

What I need to do is construct a data frame with all of these combined
where the order of selection from one of the three data frames is
randomized but once a stratum is selected patients are selected
sequentially from that data frame.

To see what I'm looking to achieve, suppose the first five subjects were
to come, in order, from strata (data frames) 1, 2, 1, 3 and 2. The
expected result should look like this:

rbind(df1[1,],df2[1,],df1[2,],df3[1,],df2[2,])
    strat id  pid
1      1  1 1001
2      2  1 2001
21     1  2 1002
4      3  1 3001
22     2  2 2002

I hope what I'm trying to accomplish makes sense. Maybe I'm missing
something obvious, but I really have no idea at the moment how to
achieve this elegantly. Since I need to simulate many trial recruitments
it needs to be general and compact.

I appreciate any advice.

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)