[R] multiple break in univariate series

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Sun Mar 29 12:43:18 CEST 2015

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015, Bert Gunter wrote:

> Once you have looked at the data and chosen change points to test
> based on the data, the tests for change points are invalid (unless you
> make appropriate adjustments for post hoc tests).
>
> And no, I am not making this up. Consult any competent statistician.

Yes, you must not select a breakpoint by eyeballing a time series and then
conduct a structural break test for this given breakpoint as if it were
exogenously given. This will be far too liberal.

But most practitioners would think it is still ok to conduct a structural
break test with _unknown_ breakpoint. Ideally, the hypothesis to be tested
and the significance level were formulated prior to the collection of the
data, though.

To add to Uwe's comments: maxstat_test() in package "coin" would be a
non-parametric permutation test. sctest() in package "strucchange"
provides a wide range of tests for general parametric models, especially
linear regressions.

Best,