[R] remove outliers with scatterplotMatrix

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 19 19:08:46 CET 2015

Dear Roberto,

This is, I assume, the scatterplotMatrix() function in the car package.

There is no option for automatically removing outliers, although the various
options for labeling points should help you identify them. If you want to
remove outliers once identified, you could use the subset argument to
scatterplotMatrix(), much as you would for a statistical modeling function,
as long as the variables in the scatterplot matrix are specified in a
formula.

For example,

	scatterplotMatrix(~ income + education + prestige, data=Duncan,
id.n=2)

identifies the two most noteworthy points in each panel (as explained in
?scatterplotMatrix), while

	scatterplotMatrix(~ income + education + prestige, data=Duncan,
subset= -c(6, 16))

removes cases 6 and 16.

I hope this helps,
 John