[R] lme random interactions

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Mar 17 09:42:59 CET 2015

Dear Brian,

You want

data$CompLab <- interaction(data$Compound, data$Lab)
lme ( data=data, Resp ~ Lab * Compound,
   random = list(CombLab = ~ 1, Date = pdIdent(~0 + Lab)) ,
    weights = varIdent(form=~1|Lab)
)

Note that this is untested since you didn't provide a reproducible example.

However, you have only very few levels of Date. See "Should I treat factor
xxx as fixed or random?" on http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq
Furthermore, you are estimating a lot of parameters. Make you that you have
enough data.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest