[R] Installing R on Linux Red Hat Server

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 13 01:03:50 CET 2015

In contrast to using a package manager as others have suggested, you can
download the "Source Code for all Platforms" from CRAN (currently
R-3.1.3.tar.gz), unpack it somewhere, and follow the instructions in the
INSTALL file. This has worked well for me.

I don't advise one method in preference to the other.

But I will mention that when I first started installing R on RedHat, quite
a few years ago, I found it easier to install from sources (for reasons
that I won't mention because I have no idea if they are still valid).

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory