[R] SPSS command "match files" for merging one-to-many (hierarchical) equivalent in R?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:53:16 CET 2015

On 09/03/2015 1:40 PM, Kristina Loderer wrote:
> Dear R community,
>
> to combine data sets of hierarchical, nested nature (i.e., data sets
> linked by, for example, the variable "study ID" and then also by
> "outcome_variable_1" and "outcome_variable_2") I can use the match files
> command in SPSS. What is the equivalent command / function in R? Is it
> the merge function, or the match function? The more I read, the more
> confused I become..

I don't know SPSS at all, so I can't help you.  If nobody else does, you
might try putting together a tiny example in R showing what you're
starting with, and what you want to produce.  From what you wrote, I'd
guess merge(), not match(), but you might really be asking for something
completely different.

Duncan Murdoch