[R] R/3.1.3 source installation

White Sky bluebarbarossa at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:47:56 CET 2015

R 3.1.3 is available for installation via source-code.
However ./configure terminates with

checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown
configure: WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme
checking whether gfortran appends underscores to external names... unknown
configure: error: cannot use Fortran
Mac OSX 10.9.5 gfortran-4.2.3 (64bit)
Underscores are appended to external names by default but this doesn't seem to be recognised.
I have a feeling the problem might in the configure* file## DANGER!  We really needs the results of _AC_F77_NAME_MANGLING as## stored in the cache var ac_cv_f77_mangling which is not documented

## and hence may change ...
and then
{ $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: checking whether ${F77} appends underscores to external names" >&5$as_echo_n "checking whether ${F77} appends underscores to external names... " >&6; }

if ${r_cv_prog_f77_append_underscore+:} false; then :