[R] devtools: install_git hangs on Windows

Luca Cerone luca.cerone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 22:30:04 CET 2015

Hi,
I am trying to setup R on a Windows 7 64b machine, but despite I have
followed the instructions for Windows (installing Rtools, building the package
etc), whenever I try to use install_git and install_url, RStudio (and R) hangs.

I have identified the issues being with:
system("git clone .......")
It creates a local repository, but then the download hangs.
(the same issues apply if I use shell or system2)

git works fine in both the cmd and git-bash shells, but whenever git
clone is called from within R, the command hangs while downloading.

Does any of you have the same issue? Has any of you been able to solve it?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Best wishes,
Luca