[R] prmatrix and print.matrix

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at umu.se
Fri Jun 26 08:59:17 CEST 2015

On 06/25/2015 11:18 PM, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. wrote:
> The help page for prmatrix states that it only exists for backwards compatability and
> strongly hints at using print.matrix instead.
>    However, there does not seem to be a print.matrix() function.'

I asked this very same question here 18 months ago, but got no real
answer (except for a reference to 'write.matrix' (MASS) from David
Winsemius). However, googling found the following:

--------------------------------
Updating packages for 1.7.0:
print.matrix() only exists for backwards compatibility: it is the same
as print.default().  Very likely print.matrix was used for the
right=TRUE argument that S's print.default does not have, but this is
unnecessary.  If you want the call sequence of print.matrix, use
prmatrix instead.  Also, note that print prints the attributes of the
matrix whereas prmatrix does not.
http://developer.r-project.org/170update.txt

So, my guess is that print.matrix once existed but is now silently gone.
Use print.default.

Göran