[R] help for lay person assisting R user with disability

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:15:30 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Courtney Bryant <cbryant at andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> Good Morning,
> I am currently working with a disabled R user who is a student here at
> CMU.  The student has both sight and mobility issues.  The student has
> asked for an assistant who is well versed in R to enter data for her, which
> we are having a hard time finding.  I would like information from R
> developers/users about how/how well R interfaces with Excel (an easier
> skill set to find!)   In your opinion, could it be as easy as uploading
> data from excel into R?
>
> Also, do you know of a way to enlarge the R interface or otherwise assist
> in making the program accessible to a low vision person?  My  limited
> understanding leads me to believe that screen magnifiers like zoom text
> don't work particularly well.  If you have information on that, I would
> very much appreciate it.
>
> Thanks for your help and for bearing with me!
> Courtney

1. If the data file is in the form of a rectangular table with rows and
columns and the first row is a header row then if, in Excel, it is saved as
a .csv file it can be read into R like this:

   DF <- read.csv("/Users/JoeDoe/myspreadsheet.csv")

2. The openxlsx, readxl (and a number of other packages) can alternetely be
used to directly read in an xls or xlsx file, e.g.

  install.packages("readxl")
  library(readxl)
  DF <- read_excel("/Users/JoeDoe/myspreadsheet.xlsx")

3. The Windows magnifier that comes with Windows does work with R.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com