[R] "effects" package issue for lme4's lmer()

Krisztina Mosdossy kriszmosdossy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:43:39 CET 2015

Hello fine R folks,

I am a big fan of the "effects" package as it enables me to visualize my
GLMM's quite nicely and with ease. I am, however, unable to find a way to
use the effect() or allEffects() functions with my recent lmer model.

I just updated R, lmerTest and effects packages the other day. I am using R
version 3.1.2 (2014-10-31) -- "Pumpkin Helmet", lme4 package version 1.1-7,
effects package version 3.0-3 and lmerTest package version 2.0-20. I am
using a MacBook Pro OS 10.9.5.

I constructed my model using the lmer() function in the lme4 package as
well as the lmerTest() function:

m.proc3.2<-lmerTest::lmer(Duration~InvertAvg2012+NInvertSample2012+RipeFruit2012+AvgFrass2012+FocalDuration+(1|Group/Animal)+(1|Type),
data=datsc)

Where "Duration" is a continuous response variable, while each fixed
explanatory variable is continuous and each random variable is categorical.
I scaled each continuous explanatory variable.

The problem I am having:

effect(m.proc3.2)

or

allEffects(m.proc3.2)

provides the lovely "wheel of death", my computer starts heating up and R
is no longer responsive (for this reason I end up having to Force Quit R).
I also tried the above code without lmerTest() just in case, but the beach
ball raises its unforgiving rainbow head (the "wheel of death" returns and
I have to Force Quit R).

Since updating, I have used the "effects" package with a glmer model I have
and allEffects() works wonders. It's only with the lmer() that I'm having
issues. I have searched and searched cyberspace and no one else seems to be
having this problem. In fact, the "effects" package is often recommended
when seeking visual representation of one's lmer model. Am I missing
something?

Thank you for your time!

Krisztina Mosdossy, M.A.

Department of Anthropology