[R] Percentage cover data with many zeros

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 21:25:37 CET 2015

This is useful and correct advice, but if you want to see an excellent description of some of the R tools for dealing with zero-inflation, the Zeileis, Kleiber & Jackman article on the matter: http://www.jstatsoft.org/v27/i08/paper ,  was very helpful in advancing my understanding of the subject area.

> -pd
>
>> On 24 Jan 2015, at 14:26 , Ben Brooker <awe.ben at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to R and have not had the most exposure to statistics.
>> I have a dataset of percentage cover (so 0-100) for certain species in 3
>> different shore zones (High, mid and low). The data was recorded for
>> different protected areas as well (17 of them) and my number of obs is
>> large (3358). I'm obviously interested in the difference in percentage
>> cover of species between shore zones as well as between protected areas.
>> The problem is that my data contains loads of zeros and I haven't dealt yet
>> in statistics with how to manipulate the data so as to perform robust tests
>> on it. I previously used Kruskal-Wallis ANOVAs

I wonder if the terms Kruskal-Wallis and ANOVA should be adjacent. I do not remember that variances are part of the inference with KW-tests. You might ask that in your question to the very helpful group on CrossValidated.com

--
David.