[R] Cube of Matrices or list of Matrices

Ben Tupper btupper at bigelow.org
Tue Jan 20 03:11:38 CET 2015

Hi,

On Jan 19, 2015, at 5:17 PM, Karim Mezhoud <kmezhoud at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ben.
> I need to learn more about apply. Have you a link or tutorial about apply. R documentation is very short.
>
> How can obtain:
> z <- list (Col1, Col2, Col3, Col4......)?

This may not be the most efficient way and there certainly is no error checking, but you can wrap one lapply within another as shown below.  The innermost iterates over your list of input matrices, extracting one column specified per list element.  The outer lapply iterates over the various column numbers you want to extract.

getMatrices <- function(colNums, dataList = x){
   # the number of rows required
   n <- max(sapply(dataList, nrow))
   lapply(colNums, function(x, dat, n) { # iterate along requested columns
      do.call(cbind, lapply(dat, getColumn,x, len=n)) # iterate along input data list
   }, dataList, n)
}

getMatrices(c(1,3), dataList = x)

If we are lucky, one of the plyr package users might show us how to do the same with a one-liner.

There are endless resources online, here are some gems.

http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html
http://www.rseek.org/
http://www.burns-stat.com/documents/
http://www.r-bloggers.com/