[R] Mac Yosemite R.app console typing / autorepeat performance

David R Forrest drf at vims.edu
Tue Jan 13 19:44:41 CET 2015

I am having issues with performance in the R.app console on Mac Yosemite / OS X 10.10.1.

1) While editing commands on the command line, left or right arrow gradually slows within a session from usable rates to rates like 2/second or slower.

2) Autorepeat works differently for different characters:

  # -> ######################################  repeats normally
  f -> f                                       single character
  a -> popup menu of differently-accented ‘a’ characters.
  arrow keys on an existing command line -> navigate as expected

I’m mostly irritated by the slowing navigation.

On trying to generate a repeatable example, I think it happens from having lots of text in the console window:

# open an R.app session
# try autorepeating ‘#' across the console line while counting how many seconds it takes.
# put a lot of output in the window:
rnorm(100000)
# Autorepeat ‘#’ for the same number of seconds and see how much of the line is filled.   I get about 1/3 of the film as above.

If I do a couple more rnorm(100000)s, the character insertions get queued up and slower than they typing and autorepeat.

Is there a way to limit the scroll-history of the console buffer?

Dave