[R] R-help Digest, Vol 143, Issue 10

Ronald Wyllys wyllys at ischool.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 12 00:58:43 CET 2015

This follows up on Duncan Murdock's reply to Boris Steipe's question
about possible advantages to using RStudio.

I agree with Mr. Murdock's list of advantages of RStudio, but disagree
mildly with his comment about feeling that the tiled display provides
too little space.  When I use RStudio, I usually set its window to
occupy most of the available workspace on my monitor; and I adjust the
sizes of the different quadrants of the tiling to suit what I'm doing at
the moment.  Typically, this means that I use a wide rectangle to
display plots and the like, often choose a smaller height for the
Environment area, and so on. It's very easy to re-size the individual
tile areas.

In addition to Mr. Murdock's list of advantages, I can point out that
RStudio provides a substantial number of shortcuts and time-savers.  The
following book is a rich source of information about detailed
capabilities of RStudio: "Learning RStudio for R Statistical Computing",
by M.P.J. van der Loo and E. de Jonge, 2012.

Their book has impressed me so much that I have spent a good part of the
past week working methodically, page by page, through the book, an
effort which has contributed much to my personal comfort with using R
and RStudio. I'm still learning to use R, but the tricks and shortcuts
I've learned from this book have been extremely helpful; and I'm a
considerably better user of both R and RStudio, thanks to the book. (And
I've even given a post-Christmas gift copy of the book to a son-in-law
who uses R in his job in the oil business.)

Ronald Wyllys
Emeritus Professor
The University of Texas at Austin