[R] R vs. RStudio?

Rick / rrsanbar rick at rrsanbar.com
Sun Jan 11 05:12:38 CET 2015

I have four years in the R trenches, and code in R  on the Ubuntu
command line and the Windows  R GUI.

Here is an RStudio comparative overview:

In the absence of  Rstudio, to construct and debug a script I need:

1) A programmer's editor (such as VIM (bad) or Bluefish (better)), in
which I enter the script
2) The R GUI / command/console  window to run the script

To test / debug the script: use the source() function to load and execute.
To pause the script: insert browser(); statements at desired stopping points
   (thus adding needles complexity to the code)
To view variable contents: use the message() and sprintf() functions to
print text

Viewing R help files using the ?() command opens another popup window or
windows with the help files.
These must be manually closed when not needed.

When using RStudio, I need:

*Only* the RStudio app running - its GUI includes:
   -  A very good color-coded programmer's editor,
   -  The R console, and (when activated), an excellent debug
information window.,
   - The Debug information window, which displays execution information
(e.g., variable values),
      once the debugger is activated (see below)

   - The R documentation window, to display help files.

      To step through /  debug the R script: Use RStudio's integrated
debugger, which takes approximately 5 minutes to learn.
                    for more info:
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200713843-Debugging-with-RStudio?version=0.98.1091&mode=desktop
                    OR within RStudio, select Debug/Debugging Help

The quality and usability of RStudio has markedly improved since the
early versions: Most beginner-level R programmers can become comfortable
using RStudio in 45 minutes. They will recoup their time investment
within the first three hours of R development.

Hope this helps,
Rick Reeves
Foxgrove Solutions, Ltd