[R] a symbolic derivative question, please

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 20:36:17 CET 2015

On 09/01/2015 2:04 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> One more thing, please:  (just like Columbo)
>
> Is there a work-around for this, please?

I did some work with John Nash a few months ago that gave symbolic
derivative code that was a bit more flexible than the built-in code.
It's on R-forge in the nls14 package.

With that package, you get the same error as in base, but you can do

newDeriv(`[`(x,y), stop("no derivative when indexing"))

and then fnDeriv() (the nls14 replacement for deriv()) works on your
example.

Duncan Murdoch