[R] Convert windows source package for Mac use

Warthog arjarvis.warthog at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:19:27 CET 2015

Hi,
I am on a Mac.
Is there a way to convert a Windows source package so it can be installed on a Mac?

I have a package in zip form from a friend who runs Windows.
I THINK that it is in compiled format for Windows.
The Description says:
Built: R 3.1.2 x86_64-w64-mingw32....windows

I tried to convert it to a tgz then Install/Load on Mac R, but I get the error message:
Error: package 'package' was built for x86_64-w64-mingw32

I can run Windows on Parallels Desktop, and the original zip format installs and loads OK.

I'd prefer to run R on my Mac.
Sorry if this is a stupid question: I read the R-exts and it doesn't say if you can or cannot do this.

Thanks,
Alan